Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mastercard Gift Finder

So, this ad kept popping up every time I got on the web the last month or so that featured Peyton Manning and some chick I am not familiar with. Today I finally decided to figure out what it was about.

The ad pointed me to the "Mastercard Priceless Gift Finder" by Amazon. You go through a number of steps telling this algorithm who you are shopping for and details about the person. Then, Peyton or nameless chick suggests gifts for your loved one.

I thought it would be interesting to see what they picked out for some of my closest relatives and boy was it hilarious. I started with my sister. I had to choose from a list of descriptions of her like sister, friend, roommate, etc....well, she could have been any of those but I went with sister. Then I told her age and chose a category that described her. None of the others seemed to fit her so I went with "Sports Fanatic". Hahaha...she does love sports but I had an itching suspicion they would picture a different type of person. I was right. Their two suggestions were some type of behind the ear headphones and get this.....a "Beer Tender" from Heineken and Krups....the coffee people went in with heineken to close in on the beer market! Hahahaha...not exactlty Kari.

For the next try I went with my Mom. Again, the categories didn't describe her well except for the "Pet Person"....she loves her 2 boys (cats). The gift suggestions were a kennel, a napping/scratching post (they forgot to ask if the cats were declawed) and a "HydroSurge RapidBath System"....does this thing give you a bath or "draw" your bath for you....weird?

Finally, my dad...this one should have been a doosey. Well, I chose the "Do-It-Yourselfer" for dear ole dad and actually got some good gifts. First was a variable speed electric leaf blower, then an electric shrub trimmer (his is currently broken) and finally, a 1,500-Wattt On-Demand Power Steamer (for me to take down the wall paper in his house).

Guess it is a good thing I have already gotten everyone's gift(s).....if it were up to the gift finder Dad might be the only one fairing well.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: